Lincoln Reservoir was begun in 1889, in response to the Great Seattle fire of 1889, and completed in 1901. A parcel just south of it was named Lincoln Park the same year. The famed Olmsted Brothers designed the park, as part of their many works in the Seattle area. In 1908 it was developed as a playfield, and in 1922 its name was changed to Broadway Playfield so as not to duplicate the name of the new Lincoln Park inWest Seattle. The playfield was named after Bobby Morris, former King County, Washington auditor, in 1980. Meanwhile, the area around the reservoir had come to be known as Lincoln Reservoir Park.
Rebuilding of the reservoir to convert it from open-air to covered started in April 2003 and lasted through summer 2005.
In 2004, World Naked Bike Ride Seattle established a tradition of stopping briefly in the park, usually in the midsection near the shelter house and water feature. Body Pride ride also began making stops in 2005.
In 2009, Forbes magazine recognized Cal Anderson Park as one of the 12 Best City Parks in the U.S.
Cal Anderson Park Alliance
CAPA is an organization convened in 2006 by Seattle Parks & Recreation which brings together citizens and Parks employees who are dedicated to generating creative, innovative activities, programs and events to activate Cal Anderson Park. Our goal is to build on and sustain healthy, safe and varied uses for the park. Welcome to our website, which will grow as our board grows. Check back often to see what's happening in the park!
For more information on CAPA and their park program of events: www.calandersonpark.org